Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First Birthday!!!

Wow! what a weekend. There is so much to say and show. Sorry we have been so busy that it has taken us awhile to post this momentous occasion. Here is a mighty long post that hopefully touches on the highlights.

As alluded to earlier, Alder did indeed get his first haircut this birthday weekend and here he is in the bathtub just before it. I did only chop a whopping centimeter off the front bangs and left the rest to blow in the wind upon Jason's and Eli's request. This small amount cut made a huge difference and made him look so grown up (notice in the remainder of pics). My favorite comment was from Dan who said "Nice bangs"...

I must say that the big birthday celebration was a total success! The weather was absolutely beautiful and all seemed to have a great time. We are so grateful to have such wonderful family and friends to share this day with us.

Here is Alder is in his new wagon which he loved sitting in and riding around the deck and neighborhood. A nice change from the stroller I am sure as he can see all around.

Alder loves all his gifts so much - it is so fun to see him learn how to use them and listen to the new books - variety is the spice of life for an infant after all... here he is with his xylophone and punch -n - drop.
Uncle Travis was an especially special guest and Alder loved getting the extra QT with him.

Ms. Anne, who takes care of Alder when we are at work, described him recently as a 'wheel boy' and she couldn't have been more right. He LOVES to push cars and trucks around and make a noise as if an engine were revving as seen here...we can't decide if this is just innate in all little boys or if he learned this from the other fellows at daycare....

Here's the trio just before (or after?) singing Happy Birthday! Very exciting! He was already reaching for it!!

I searched around to find a sugar free cake for his birthday and found a really great one. It is a sugar free carrot cake. I used the one on this website:
http://www.grizzlybird.net/2007/01/babys-1st-birthday-cake-recipes.html
It turned out really well and I just barely put some frosting on Alder's...I actually licked most of it off just before we sang to him! My mom said that he will be mad at me when he gets older, but I will risk it! I made a sheet cake for the big kids and adults and a cupcake for alder. The cake was naturally very sweet and he LOVED it...I hope everyone else did...


The most special part of the weekend was having all the grandparents together for the first time since the week after he was born! Thanks to all of them for making the journey!

Finally, the most 'big boy' gift was the bike seat for daddy to ride Alder around. He took his maiden voyage on his actual birthday yesterday when he was feeling a bit under the weather. Despite this and the wobbly helmet, he seemed to enjoy it and feel comfortable.


Thanks to everyone for the wonderful gifts and for celebrating this most special day with us.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah Alder! Happy birthday!
That bike seat looks awesome. What a ride.
Miss you all,
Daniel

Travis Bulluck said...

I was so happy when I checked the blog this morning.

I have been waiting for the 1st birthday pictures.

It was great meeting your friends and seeing the family again.

Love,

Travis

Helen said...

WOW! Your pictures turned out so much better than mine. I love the post and it just makes me miss you all that much more. I am so glad he likes the bike...riding up in front of Dad gives him a great view.

He doesn't quite look like he has a mullet so I guess it is ok that you didn't cut the back! By the way, I accidentally got Alder's comb mixed in with my stuff. I'm mailing it and the sippy cups tomorrow.

We will miss you this weekend in GI. It won't be long before July will be here though. Love, Granna

Anonymous said...

I have been looking forward to seeing this post! It is so much fun to see a preview of what we have in our future with Charlie. Thanks for a great party. Can you post/send a link for the bike seat? I really like where it sits - not way out in front of the handlebars or behind the adult.
Love,
Linda

Lesley said...

Yes, of course, the bike seat is called a 'wee ride'
Here is a youtube video that convinced us to get this one instead of the one seated behind the cyclist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkO8OTrYVfI

No more tries since the maiden voyage earlier this week, but I am sure they will go for a spin this weekend.

Also, check out the new link to our friend's blog (Dan, Janet and Sylvia) in our links section. They have a couple of photos from the party that are very cute.

Tiffany said...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY, ALDER!!! Wish I could have been there! I love that bike seat too! I've never seen one in front like that. It brings back so many memories of our family bike rides. I miss you guys!

love,
Tiff