First, some lovely faces. Heath is so all about eyes, or more exactly, eye contact. From the day he could see someone else's eyes, he has been looking for them. Any interaction with Heath starts with penetrating, I-need-all-of-your-attention-because-I-really mean-what-I-am saying-right-now eye contact. Be the situation good or bad, he digs right in. Heath, the feeler.
Then, Alder, the thinker. He connects, he knows every bit what is happening in the subtlest of interactions, but he is more stoic. Deep in decision and plotting, figuring things out. Oh, the questions he asks. They both can become so absorbed in something, especially when together, that we have to wonder what the world around them even looks and sounds like, as they are obviously in a totally different place. Alder is about to be five. This is huge.
I think of it like I think back on this picture:
Here, I knew what was before me was immense, while also knowing that I didnt, couldn't, even know just how big it was. It really feels no different now. There is such a constant unfurling - as soon as you know how life is coming, here comes another avalanche.
On a lighter note, we love to look in on the boys when sleeping at least once a night and sometimes we snap pics in the dark when they are in an especially entertaining position. This night we flicked the light on to capture the moment... So cruel, but so funny.
Speaking of funny, dress up is king right now. The most random assortments of things. We still do not expose them to TV and movies like most kids, so it is fun to watch them fill in the gaps. For example, if they had seen lots of cartoons or movies with knights or warriors, they might not be wearing red and blue capes, and Heath wouldn't be wearing a top hat. But... they love it just the same. Its the most fun when they want to take this out in public. I love being the Dad at the hardware store with a little spider man with his whole backside showing, since the outfit is too small and coming apart at the seams.
This gets at the first picture. When Heath starts to color an animal or person, he always starts with the eyes and the hands. Sometimes thats all, and then he moves on to something else.
And he is still a little pig - weighing as much or maybe more than big brother, eating as much as an adult some meals - and still a ham - taking any opportunity to cuddle up and dominate his host.
OK thats all for now. Scratching the surface.
2 comments:
Great pics and commentary. We enjoy reflecting on the different personalities of our kids as well. Same parents, same home environment, but such different people emerging.
Hi to everybody,
Daniel
Heath is pretty good at coloring in the lines! Impressive!
Love them so much. Miss all of you.
Love, Elizabeth
Post a Comment