Thursday, July 1, 2010

So so slack

We are sorry for not being more present on the web for the few of you that really want to keep up with our growing boys. So much to report considering our infrequent posts....

Heath is now one year old (as of June 24) and walking around everywhere. He is becoming more and more opinionated and outgoing which can be so fun and so challenging. It is amazing to think that some of the things you struggle with, may likely become some of your child's greatest assets....we shall see. He arches his back and kicks when he is not happy - I cannot recall having this issue with Alder. Getting put in the car seat for example has become a test in arm strength as his ever strengthening legs and 27 pounds goes stiff as a board. Once he is in place, he does not fight any more or even fuss. Just testing my strength I guess....

Despite the mini tantrums, Heath is starting to communicate pretty well. Still no signing, but lots of pointing to let us know what he wants. He is trying to say lots of words: book = buh, ball = bah, "adah" plus pointing = anything of interest.
Most exciting of late is his insistance on feeding himself. He pitches a fit if we try to spoon feed him and thankfully he is pretty good at using a spoon to feed himself a variety of food including yogurt and even rice!

I also think Heath is becoming a friend more than a foe to Alder. He still gets frustrated with Heath pestering and intervening, but he also interacts and plays with him quite a bit. Heath still likes to point at things and Alder can be heard telling him what he is pointing at. I have been thanking Alder for helping me teach Heath about what things are as he is learning his words. "That's right Heath, that's an elephant". Wrestling has begun and occurs quite frequently between them, especially when I bring Heath in to get Alder up out of bed. Something about the squishy surface of the bed that makes them both want to roll around with eachother. I am doing my best (pretty succesfully) to instruct Alder to get off of Heath when you hear him fuss....not so sure Heath will be as cooperative. Alder actually told me the other day (whilst playing with Heath and them both laughing histerically) that "Heath is my friend"....I couldn't have been happier.

Alder turned 3 recently (May 19) and got a really awesome gift from Granna and Grandad and Eli, a balance bike. I have been amazed at how well he is able to glide and propel himself on this thing. After less than a few hours, he was doing it and has gotten more and more comfortable. He has had a couple of minor skinned knees and even a fat lip, but this has only made him appropriately cautious now. I would recommend a balance bike to anyone with a kid this age or younger, especailly if they are having issues with pedalling tricicles (short legs!). I cant believe this is the only pic we have of him on this bike - back in May when wearing pants was comfortable!! He is on this thing almost daily and I have yet to take more pics....
Alder went to the doctor for his annual check up and was SUCH a big boy - he urinated in a cup and did not cry when he had to get a shot! He also impressed the doctor with his ability answer questions. We were proud.

He continues to be incredibly verbal. For example he is really into describing exactly what is going to happen next - "when mom picks me up today from school, I am going to get in the car, and she is going to buckle me up in my seat and I will listen to the songs I like and read my book and when we get home I am going to ride my bike with no pedals to the pool."
Oh yes, and we went to Louisiana for a wonderful week with family. Cousins are such a wonderful thing. It is so fun to see my boys (ages 1 and 3) playing with my brother's girls (who are 2 and 5 years old). They had a blast. Thanks to Eli, Alder and the girls have painted toe and fingernails....much to grandad's chagrin....
Thanks for a wonderful time.
Notice Alder's very big boy haircut!
Grandad was some of the best entertainment as always! Here he is sharing his wisdom with them....
And here is their response......
We miss you all so much and cant wait to see you soon!!

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Good to see pics and read about the boys growth and experiences. Miss yall tons,
Daniel

SillySalamanders said...

I can't believe how big the boys are getting! So fun to hear what they're all doing. We really need to visit again soon :)

Helen said...

Love it....missing you all! love Granna