It is so amazing to see the difference! Four casts and one very minor surgery has completely changed the appearance of Alder's feet and in only a matter of weeks. Dr. Tuten is our doctor and Dr. Ponseti is the man who developed the Ponseti method of correction for clubfeet. Before this method, and in some cases still today by doctors unaware of this procedure, children's feet were corrected by major surgery and the outcome was often not great (feet still deformed and much pain into adulthood). The Ponseti method, on the other hand, has a success rate of > 95% and the outcome is feet just like a 'normal' child and adult! All we have to do now is be diligent about wearing the brace to prevent a relapse and Alder will be crawling, walking, and then running like any other kid. Amazing! For more information, see the links to the right at the top of the blog.
2 comments:
wow, truly amazing. I think he looks like he's really starting to fill out too. congrats on getting through those casts. thanks for keeping the blog so current. i love seeing little Alder's beautiful face change and grow. call me when you get a minute:)
love, jen
Hi Les and Jason and Alder and Tsuga! This is the first chance I've had to look at the blog in weeks and what an amazing story it tells! I wish I could be there watching him change. I'm glad you guys had fun with Ana and Alex last week. Yay for the hamaca! I miss you like crazy, but I'm totally looking forward to my next visit up there. ;)
love, Tiff
Post a Comment