Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I am thankful today for the following great dads…

Dad, thanks for raising me to be strong-minded and critical thinking. Your influence has been and continues to be very important in shaping my opinions and values…even though we sometimes disagree! You had no idea that your encouragment would bring me to where I am today, did you?! I look forward to you teaching Alder how to navigate the coastal Louisiana marsh (with a GPS of course!) and how to be patient so that one day he will catch his ‘limit’ of fish! …in addition to numerous other things I am sure…

Clint, it is so amazing to see my brother grow up and be such an amazing dad to two beautiful girls. Even though we see each other only a couple times per year, I know how much joy being a dad brings to your life - I can see it in you eyes and hear it in your voice. This makes me so happy!

Tom, thanks for raising my husband to be the dad he is – caring, patient, and most importantly, engaged! I know that it has been your example that has not only made Jason such an attentive and considerate husband, but also such a wonderful dad.

As we often joke, I know I can look 30 years down the road and expect to see Tom….and I want you to know that this is something I am looking forward to!

And most especially, Jason, the father of my son! Thanks for being the best husband and most wonderful dad I know. For your first year on ‘the job’, you are incredible! I am happiest when I hear and see you and Alder playing/laughing/talking. Nobody can get him to belly laugh like his daddy. I am envious of your ability to put your work behind you each day and truly ‘BE’ at home with us. I am so excited for our future together and I look forward to you teaching Alder how to notice, enjoy, and appreciate all the wonders of our natural world.

Yes, this is Alder's very first dirty diaper in the hospital....Jason was very excited to jump right in.

...and this one is just for fun...he loves his oriole hat!...it's a long story...
I love you darlin.

5 comments:

jbulluck said...

Thank you Les for all you do to make being a father so amazing... and lets hear it for some white t-shirts, eh?

Helen said...

What a tribute to four very special men. Love, Granna

Helen said...

aww!
this is my favorite post yet.

dads are awesome =)

love, elizabeth

Helen said...

Hello Cakes. This blog was the best Fathers Day present I could get. The speckled trout will be in Grand Isle when you and Jason come. We can hardly wait. See you soon. Big hug and kiss for Alder. Love, Grandad

Helen said...

Hello Jason and Les. Alder has been the conversation for the last two days. Yesterday, a 5-year-old caught 10 or 12 trout within 2 hours and we could just picture Alder. Today, a 10-year-old was catching trout and we could hardly wait to see Alder doing the same thing. Between rebuilding Corvettes, catching trout, and bird watching, studying, and girlfriends, he's going to be a very busy little boy.

Big hugs and kisses for AJ.

Love, Grandad