Sunday, August 24, 2008

15 months and climbing...

We were surprised to see how long its been since we posted.... Little bit of a LOT going on as usual. My semester began this week so we are adjusting to a new schedule for a few months. Otherwise, we are enjoying the pleasantly mild August weather and keeping our fingers crossed for rain.

As for Alder, he loves tomatoes from the garden. He points and asks for them when we walk by them. He eats them whole and raw.

he also likes to tickle toes (and wear his bicycle helmet in the house...)

and drinking from the hose (always followed by a refreshing, open-mouthed, "aahhhhhhh").

and going head first into the pool

and Climbing!! This has just begun and while we are glad he has learned to go 'feet first' down the steps and off the bed, his infatuation with climbing could lead to some trouble...

Today, we watched as he climbed all the way up on our picnic table by himself!!

After all these antics, we wound down the weekend with an old favortie meal we hadn't had in awhile: miso walnut sauce on...whatever..it is so yummy. Despite the fact that it looks like dog puke on this pile of noodles and chard.

Alder loved it as well.If you'd like to make it:

2c walnuts (toasted)
2c apple juice - bring to a boil, turn off and add the miso)
4 Tbsp miso
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Blend and use as a dip or over rice/pasta.
From the Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook...claims that this sauce can be habit-forming...I agree.

Everyone have a lovely day.

5 comments:

Travis Bulluck said...

With all of that climbing it is a good thing he likes to wear that helmet

Tiffany said...

I can't wait til he's climbing trees - with a helmet on of course. :) Congrats on surviving the first week of classes!

Helen said...

Thanks for the update!!!! He seems so much older. I can't wait to see you all on Wednesday. Love. Granna

Jennifer said...

Beautiful boy! Hey I caught a glimpse of the garden there. What's going on with it?
Fall Break! Fall Break! Fall Break! I am already working towards it.
Daniel

jbulluck said...

Daniel, if you get this response...the garden. The tomatoes got a second wind, perhaps because I "laid them by", a trick my grandmother told me about. So they are overcoming the trellis, which I love seeing. The cantalope is doing the same, but with only two fruits so far. Planted peas amongst the toms and they are coming up since we have just finally gotten a good soaking. Otherwise, I recently put lettuce and broccoli in the ground which are coming along. Chard popping up too amidst what we've had all summer. And still babying the basil so I can get a couple more big batches of pesto to freeze. The June beetles didn't take it out while we were traveling! Otherwise, other stuff is just moving right along. Yours?!?! As I wonder about it often, now that I have met it personally. You guys still getting set for fall too?

We cant wait for the beach too. Think about it daily. Love to you all.