A few weeks ago, we got started on the process of constructing the bar from these boards. We had to buy some wood glue and clamps - we do not have any photos of this step, but it was intense - looked as if we were building a space ship out of braces and clamps. I should mention here that this was all done in our backyard, not a wood shop.
Then we cut a round edge (using a 5-gallon bucket as a pseudo-too small-template).
as well as several L-brackets (Jason drew a template and cut several from a piece of oak)
Then we sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more.
Then we stained just a little – ‘golden oak’
Then we lacquered and sanded, and lacquered and sanded, and lacquered some more.
Viola! A beautiful and very functional bar and shelf. Yeah!!
My cookbooks are out of the way and we have more than doubled our counter space!!
I think it turned out pretty good for a shade-tree project - a Paw-Paw phrase.
We are waiting on three bar stools to make it fully functional...soon we will be eating dinner and watching our Baywatch DVDs!
6 comments:
Wow!! How beautiful! You guys did a wonderful job with the bar. I don't know many who would have had the patience to do that...only you two. I am very proud of you both!
Granna
the bar looks great!! no drawing pictures on this one, okay??? -elizabeth
that looks AWESOME!! I love the shelves. Way to go! My only comment - Jason should have been wearing protective garments when using that saw! ;)
Hey, that is beautiful you all. Wow. That is really pretty wood. I love the way quarter-sawn oak grain runs. Very nice.
D
Hey, sorry. My pops was logged in to our computer. The message is from Daniel. Bet your glad I am posting again to explain. Sheesh. Sorry.
Delete both if you want. Nice job on the bar though.
Daniel
Post a Comment