Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Two songs

Years ago, as an undergraduate in college, I read Khalil Gibran's book The Prophet. I remember being very touched by many of the poems then, but have not thought of them in a long time. A friend gave a us a CD of children's songs when Alder was born and I have fallen in love with two of the songs. It hit me recently that one of them is indeed a poem from The Prophet sung by Sweet Honey in the Rock. Click here and then click on the link to listen to On Children, the tenth or so song down on the list.

It is funny how different my thoughts are now, as a mother, when I read/listen to this poem compared to when I was a rebellious young adult. However, both now and then, I am struck by the importance of its message. How humbling to think about living and growing with my children rather than trying to mold and shape them into who we think they should be. I will need to be reminded of this many times I am sure as they grow into the unique individuals they are destined to become.

My other favorite song is Little Potato.

This is just a fun tune that Alder recognizes as that silly song mom likes to turn up loud on the stereo and sing when no one else is around....

Hope you all enjoy these as much as I do.

Here is a photo from the other day - I think the infant car seat will not last past Heath's 4th month...He is 3 months old today!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Our dear daughter is indeed named after their rendition of the song! Thanks for reminding me of this poem - it's full of amusing memories for me: The way I presented it to my mom, for example. And thanks for turning us on to this album of theirs. We love them, obviously.

Tiffany said...

What a sweet little song! I remember the video you showed me when I was there last month - both poems/songs are so sweet and full of love and insight. you guys are amazing parents, and I know that Alder and Heath will grow up to sing similar songs to their kids one day. :)