On the drive down, I sat in the back seat with Alder for a couple of hours to ward off the crying by talking to him and occassionally letting him suck on my pinky. Well, during one of these sucklings I felt a little tooth! Yes, Alder has officially cut a tooth on the bottom right! I was sure last week that he must be teething due to the excessive drool, chewing on fists and fingers, runny nose, a bit stinkier poops and his mildly fussy nature. I looked in Jason's baby book and found that he too cut a tooth at 4.5 months and read somewhere that the timing of teething is pretty genetic. Yeah for a mom's intuition! I wish I could post a photo of his little toothy, but it is not yet visible enough for a camera. Soon.Ok, so we arrived at the beach Friday evening to our wonderful rental beach house. We struggled with the idea of camping, then cheap motel, and then Daniel found this great 2 bedroom beach house that was more affordable than most of the other motels and condos. Needless to say we were expecting a dump, but it was really great and not a dump at all. The living area and kitchen were spacious and clean and the front porch was huge. We were surrounded by other houses and condos, but it was the off season so it was very quiet. Plus we were one row of buildings and a small, quiet street from the sand. The beach was never crowded and the weather was perfect. One day was kinda overcast so we went to the aquarium at Fort Fisher...not highly recommended, but ok. Otherwise we spent the majority of our time on the beach, enjoying the basic things that make the beach the beach. We had a blast playing in the sand and body surfing. The water temp was perfect - it felt great to get in and to get out and then to get back in again... The water was also very rough and thus lots of fun for the adults. Jason and I traded off with Alder during nap times - he is still too young to really hang out on the beach with us, especially considering we did not have an umbrella. But, he fared well in the carrier for small blocks of time.
When awake and not on the beach, he enjoyed being entertained by the maidens of Alder smiles. Ellen and Arianna were very good at getting him to forget sore gums. These girls are only 16 months apart (currently 6 and 4.5+) and so well behaved. Jason and I took diligent mental notes as to how to be excellent parents from our veteran friends. Their girls are so smart and such a pleasure to be around.
I (dad) also recall that I made some comments to random people before our trip about how this might be our first vacation that might not turn out to actually feel like a vacation, due to the 'work' that having an infant with us would entail. However, I was quite mistaken . Such vacations are a beautiful balance: parenting during the day, and then some fun adult recreating and relaxing after the little ones are put to bed. We had a great time every night hanging out on the porch (no photos of this). On the last night Jen and Daniel introduced us to The Office, a TV show that I think is in its 4th or so season, but we are behind a bit on TV I guess. But we might be hooked now and we laughed like children watching the entire first season.
It was a bummer to say goodbye after three days of fun with friends that feel like family. Hopefully this can become an annual tradition. Here we are before parting ways on the porch of our Carolina Beach Chalet! Thanks guys for a great time! We love you.
6 comments:
Hi guys! I just happened to look at your blog tonight and looks like you posted like an hour ago! Ahh, the beach! I've been longing for the sand, the waves, the horizon recently! My brother and sister-in-law just took Quin to the beach for his first time a few weeks ago. He loved it! He played in the sand and wasn't afraid of the water. I hope you guys can make that a tradition. And yay for a tooth!! :)
What great memories you are making. Jason, I'm glad you discovered that vacations with kids can be fun for adults too! As Alder grows, you will enjoy everything through his eyes!
Dan and Jen's family is beautiful - you guys will be friends forever.
Can't wait to see you all - counting the days!!! Love, Granna
SWIM PARALLEL TO THE SHORE! Hohoho Hahaha!
Maybe we should do a cruise next, no?
I miss it already...
daniel
what great photos! All those grandparents must be soooooo proud (that would be Me)!
Do you know how rare it is to have couple friends? You guys are lucky.
Great to see you looking so healthy and happy and Alder is so handsome. Keep up the good work!kathy
Can't believe Tigre is gone--I bet he comes back. Max is adorabe and Ellen is an amazing photographer. What talented children you have!
Mom
Roasted garlic!! Yum! (Almost as yummy as those chubby thighs in that picture on the couch.) Can't wait to see the toothy Alder!
Post a Comment