Sunday, November 18, 2007

Six Months

I can't believe it. That we have been parents for six months. That Alder is sitting in my lap right now reaching for the keyboard and trying to chew on the edge of the desk. That I could love another being so much. I have learned so much from him already - some things about motherhood, but some lessons for life in general as well. I have a new-found sense of what is truly important in this short and wonderful life and my family is at the center and it feels so good. My heart melts when I see him smile at my voice, even when he can't see me, and also when I hear Jason singing to him and making him squeal/laugh.

As I reflect on these first few months, I remember the first two as blur of newness, emotion, and uncertainty. Casts, a simple surgery that seemed extremely daunting, a fussy newborn, and some ups and downs with breastfeeding. Then the fun began. Smiles that increased in frequency, cheeks and thighs that increased in width and girth, and eyes that have learned to recognize us and respond to our love. My sister-in-law, Lindsay has said several times regarding her now 2.5 year old daughter, that THIS is her favorite age (at 4 months, then at 6, and now at 2). I can fully appreciate this now and wonder daily 'how can it get better than this'? It is amazing how continuous and gradual the changes have been during these early months. For example, I can't remember how and when he started napping less, or when we stopped calling the evening 'the witching hour' and started getting him to laugh in these same hours, or when he went from barely being able to grasp a rattle to grasping any and everything. Sometimes I wish we could push the pause button and revel in these moments a bit longer while I am also excited for him to grow and learn and appreciate the things that only older kids can.

His personality has really starting to emerge recently - he often stares intently at new things seemingly absorbing everything in this new and colorful world, he cranes his neck to look up and smile at us, he cuddles a lot by burying his face in our chest, and he seems to constantly be exploring his voice and tongue - squeals out of nowhere and the new 'da-da-da' in a whisper that crescendos into a yell. He has really come out of his shell in the last couple of weeks - he is much more personable and flirtatious with strangers...no longer the curmudgeon;) . 'What a happy baby!' we often hear now rather than 'What a serious baby!'

Here are some photos we took yesterday on a walk down by the James River. Richmond really is a great city and the river is one of the major reasons. I have never seen such a forested corridor and clean river in a major city. If only Richmond were closer to my family. This is REALLY hard for us. We are very excited to spend some time with them this week for Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday!!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey beautiful pictures and update. We had a wonderful time at the Penfield's. We should end up at a university in the southern appalachias, and I have "Consilience" on my Wish List. Put Wendel Berry's "Life is a Miracle" on yours if you haven't read it. It is his response to Wilson.
daniel

Helen said...

Beautiful pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful day.

We are so excited...our company this weekend (Jen/Dan and family; Jamie/Patrick and family) have been a prelude to our time with you all and Clint/Lindsay and MM. We are going to make some wonderful memories! Love Mom

Tiffany said...

That is beautiful, Les. You should print off that top picture and frame it! Happy Thanksgiving!!