Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Catching Up a Bit

Has been a while it appears, and now dad will try to update with a little narrative and a big photo dump. First, for a glimpse of memory lane: the left is June 29 and the right is Sept 5.
















Smiles are easier to come by now, but he is still a tough crowd. I cannot imagine how stupid I must look trying to get him to laugh. Alder always has this stoic look on his face, sometimes totally spacing, but usually apparantly thinking about something. He will just snap out of it and smack a few times and look up as if to say, "Alright now what face were you making? Yeah, ok here is a grin for that." Or, "Nah, thats not enough." First thing in the morning is the best time to get relatively easy smiles. And he will get excited, but you just have to work for it. Its well worth...



Otherwise, he spends alot of time with puckered lips and clinched fists. Always has a grip on nothing, or is holding has thumbs in a fist. I wonder what this portends and hope that its determination, tenacity rather than just being too wound up and intense. I think that I know myself too well to fear this but maybe we have some time to work on it.

He has really seemed to have found his hands lately though - or at least their functions. He finally today purposefully reached for toys, held them, pulled them to his mouth with both hands, got slobber all over them, swung them around and flung them, more than once, although not every time we offered. Of course we were excited, while he thought, 'Sure, be happy. I am about to tear this place to pieces..." And on the belly he will scoot a little bit but no real lifting. Does like to stand with some help though.



Hands down there is no time like bath time. He does all he can do - thrashes about, banging his arms and legs and feet into the bathtub. Its got to hurt. Talking incessantly in "hissing" and "doooooooo dooooooooo" language. Doesnt like the water poured over the face but doesnt cry. We have made a point to do this all along. Plus, what doesnt kill you... He could stay in there forever and only criess when the water gets cold (at which time I usually warm it up) and when I reach down to grab him out. The most death-summoning cries come when bath is over. Amazing volume and pitch. Absolutely amazing.

Oh yeah, and he has lost all the hair in the back and sides. Has a military-ish thing going and Les discovered today that his hair on top just pulls right out. And barely bleeds at all. kidding


So last Friday night we met some friends at an outdoor bar on the reservoir. Was GREAT to hang out with them and catch up as we have all been busy and in/out of town for several weeks.


So good that we all went hiking the next morning. Even Tsuga too. The longest hike in Alder's life. Five or so miles, I dont know. I think that we may do this again soon. Here's a photo on a bench by the lake. Perhaps this, where we all sat around on the ground to eat and rest, is where Lesley and I got a sweet little collection of chiggers to bring home with us. And we didnt leave the ticks behind either. Alder even got his first one in the armpit. Barely macroscopic seed ticks.

(And wardrobe provided by Alder's Uncle Steve and Aunt Casey out in Utah. Nice, heh?)


OK maybe that should do it for now. Folks make some comments!!!!!!!! We arent just flaunting our family. We would love to hear from you all.
Much love to you all.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a big boy! Love the shot of the reflection in the bath tub. It took me a minute to realize what was going on:) Thanks for keeping us up to date. love, jen

Helen said...

Jason, If you guys only knew how many times each day I click on my desktop link directly to your blog to see if there is anything new. I LOVE IT!

He is so cute....and it is amazing how the hair falling out and new stuff growing in can change his looks. He is a very serious little fellow, but he can really charm you with those smiles.

I am so excited that he is reaching and holding his hands. Does he still suck his thumb?

Love, Granna

sweresuk said...

Hey guys, I am glad to see that someone else is addicted to your blog site. You are in my favorites and I almost check it daily to get the updates. I sometimes wonder if you can see how many times your friends click onto the site and then think I am a psychopath. It is wonderful that I can keep up with you two even though we are miles apart.

Alder is getting so big and handsome! I am sure you two are loving the adventure and the challenge.

We love you, miss you, and wish you the best.

Sarah

Joanna said...

Les, ask your mom about the clenched fists. She noticed one of mine doing that one time. Either she does it also, or one of her babies did it.

I don't know what I would do without this blog. Although I have one request....would you consider going to live coverage? (smile) Or at least be available to chat online. Tons of pics and details...keep it up.